TEMPORARY ONLY POSITION- Customer Service Representative I
Posted on: November 26, 2022
*EEO CATEGORY - Office & Clerical **COMPENSATION STATUS -
Non-Exempt **COMPENSATION GRADE - II *
*CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE I*
This is specialized accounting and clerical work assisting
customers with service inquiries, minor complaints, payments and
applications for service. There is extensive involvement in
assisting customers. Work normally is accomplished in a 40-hour
week in an office environment, but some overtime may be necessary.
Work requires the exercise of initiative and some independent
judgement in responding to requests and customer inquiries. General
supervision is provided by the Office Manager, Office Coordinator
or other management personnel as necessary.Work is reviewed or
checked in progress and upon completion for accuracy and adherence
to standards and procedures.
An employee in this position performs a variety of accounting and
clerical duties, with particular emphasis on answering customer
inquiries and interpreting routine policies and regulations based
on training and knowledge gained through work experience.
Additionally, employees in this position will have extensive public
contact, both in person, over the telephone or via e-mail. Tact,
courtesy, and firmness are required. Employees may respond to
information requests pertaining to Authority services, regulations,
procedures and billing; process new service applications,
discontinuation of existing service or payments for service;
maintains and researches account records; assists in resolving
customer service problems; and processes daily work orders related
to new or discontinued service.
*EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED *
*1. Receives and acts on customer inquiries about services. (40%)
* Communicates orally and in writing with customers about bills,
meters, water/sewer/sanitation rates, adjustments, credits and
* Processes incoming and outgoing customer correspondence by
researching files for information related to specific inquiries or
* Prepares responses to complaints, inquiries, or other related
* Uses computer equipment to access customer accounts.
* Enters data into customer accounts including information
concerning adjustments, payments or service requests.
* Reviews customer billings to verify payments.
* Verifies account balances and adjusts customer accounts to
reflect refunds and billing or meter reading errors.
* Makes entries to distribute charges to various account service
* Makes limited decisions within Authority rules and policies.
*2. Processes customer payments (35%) *
* Verifies payment amounts and due dates.
* Checks payments with cutoff list before authorizing service
* Balances pay stubs and checks.
* Receives walk-in customer payments at cashier windows.
* Makes change and provides receipted copy to customer.
* Balances cash drawer.
* May take payments at drive-through payment station.
* Processes past-due accounts, payment arrangements, and collection
*3. Initiates and terminates utility services. (10%) *
* Takes and records customer requests to begin or terminate
Authority water service, set meters, transfer service to a new
address, install new services, and meter fire hydrants for special
* Applies adopted fees and user rates to accounts.
* Assists customers in completing required Authority forms.
* Establishes and maintains customer account records.
* Applies various fees and charges related to beginning or
terminating water service.
* Explains billing procedures, including rates for service;
determines costs for installing new services.
* Coordinates service requests with related field and office
*4. Operates miscellaneous office equipment. (5%) *
* Types or word processes miscellaneous letters, documents and
* Uses calculator to make arithmetic computations.
* May use other equipment such as shredder, fax and mobile
*5. Maintains Department records and reports. (5%) *
* Maintains complete files of correspondence with customers
(including letters, telephone contacts, etc.) to assure
comprehensive documentation of service for each account.
* Posts data to records.
* Files and retrieves various documents and materials.
*6. Performs related work as directed. (5%) *
It is understood that, as a public utility, HWEA provides water and
wastewater treatment and distribution/collection services to its
customers. Any duty necessary to perform these important functions
may be required of any employee, even if not listed in this
*DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES *
* Thorough knowledge of modern office procedures and practices,
equipment, standard clerical techniques, and filing and records
* Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of
* Knowledge of the principles and practices Microsoft WORD and
English, and commercial arithmetic.
* Some knowledge of street locations and service area
* Considerable skill in the use and care of office equipment, such
as calculators, 10-key adding machines, and typewriters.
* Considerable skill in communicating with customers and fellow
employees by telephone, in writing, or via two-way radio.
* Some skill in preparing routine and non-routine reports and
statements based on customer account information.
* Ability to efficiently and effectively respond to inquiries and
complaints, to obtain information and to explain policies and
regulations in a courteous, patient, and accurate manner.
* Ability to understand and follow instructions and to learn new
procedures and techniques rapidly.
* Ability to compose business correspondence.
* Ability to make rapid, accurate arithmetical computations.
* Ability to use sound judgment in making decisions in accordance
with adopted regulations and Authority policies.
* Ability to maintain complex records and prepare reports from
various data sources.
* Ability to maintain comprehensive customer records and files, in
both computerized and document formats.
* Ability to work safely alone or as part of a work group, to
recognize safety hazards, and to follow established Authority
safety practices and procedures.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
with Authority personnel, managers and customers.
*DESIRABLE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE *
Some experience in general office or customer service work is
preferred. A high school diploma or GED certificate and successful
completion of business courses, including businessEnglish, math,
typing, and related clerical subjects is required. Some familiarity
with electronic data processing system is highly desired. An
equivalent of experience and training that provides the desired
knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered.
*NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS *
Ability to pass proficiency test on ten-key calculator and computer
skills are a must.Must maintain a valid Kentucky Operator's License
with a safe driving record; be able to drive a standard or
automatic transmission vehicle; be able to work overtime when
needed, and attend safety and first-aid classes when required.
*PHYSICAL DEMANDS *
* _Must be able to: _
Stand Up to 1/2 of daySit Up to 2/3 of dayWalk Up to 1/3 of
dayStoop, kneel, crouch or crawl Up to 1/3 of dayUse hands to
finger, handle or feel Up to - of dayReach with hands and arms Up
to 2/3 of dayTalk or hear Full day_Exert or lift: _
_ *Up to 25 pounds 1/3 of day or moreMore than 25 pounds
Occasionally*_Vision: _*Must have natural or corrected vision to be
able to see clearly at 20 inches or less; 20 feet or more; color
vision; peripheral vision; depth perception; and ability to adjust
*_Environmental conditions include: _* Working with computer
keyboards and screens Up to - of day. Working repetitive tasks Up
to - of day. Working alone Up to 1/10th of day. *_Typical noise
level is: _* Moderate *_Stress level: _* Moderate to high - irate
customers, deadlines, accuracy requirements.
Job Type: Temporary
Pay: From $17.00 per hour
* 8 hour shift
* Day shift
* Monday to Friday
* High school or equivalent (Required)
* Customer Service: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: HWEA, Clarksville , TEMPORARY ONLY POSITION- Customer Service Representative I, Other , Hopkinsville, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!